10 Best Health Insurance for US Visitors & Foreigners
The United States has always been known to take progressive steps towards innovative and cost-effective delivery of technology-enabled, patient-centered, “smart” health care. However, driven by the reforms in the country’s healthcare system, Americans spent twice as much on healthcare as 10 high-income nations in 2016, paying a high price of everything from prescription drugs to doctors’ salaries, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Medical care in the US is alarmingly expensive, it is therefore wiser to get a travel insurance while visiting USA.
In a country where healthcare is a burden on its own citizens, one can imagine the cost a visitor will have to bear if they should fall ill during their trip to the US. This makes it more than necessary for every traveler to America to invest in travel medical insurance.
Also read: Best Medical insurance for parents visiting USA
I have created a list of the 10 best health insurance plans, categorized according to the age of the applicant.
Make sure you get travel insurance – Compare plans here
10 Best Health Insurance for US Visitors
Let’s start with limited coverage plans.
Best Limited Coverage Plans
The best limited coverage visitors insurance plans for people under 70 are:
- ChoiceAmerica Insurance: Administered by IMG, ChoiceAmerica is a basic coverage travel insurance plan that is available at an affordable price with limited benefits, including pre-existing medical coverage and dental coverage.
- Visitors Care Insurance: Another basic plan by IMG, Visitors Care Insurance is available at an affordable price with limited benefits. The key features of this plan are amusement park coverage, cruise coverage, loss of passport and border entry protection.
- Inbound USA Insurance: Inbound USA Insurance is a limited coverage plan administered by Seven Corners, available to non-US citizens or any kind of visa holder visiting America for a short trip.
Related: Limited v/s Comprehensive Insurance – Which is better?
Best Comprehensive Visitors Insurance Plans
- Cover America-Gold Insurance: Administered by Seven Corners and carried by Lloyd’s of London, CoverAmerica – Gold offers medical insurance coverage and emergency services, such as missed connection, loss of passport or travel documents, emergency medical reunion for non-US citizens and non-US residents traveling to the USA. The plan pays 100% within the PPO network, after the applicable deductible.
- Patriot America Plus Insurance: Patriot America Plus an A-rated visitors travel plan administered by IMG. The plan is best suited for individuals and families traveling to the US and offers health coverage and emergency services. It covers trips as short as 2 days and as long as 2 years. Patriot America Plus provides a wide range of plan maximum limits and deductible options.
- Liaison Continent Insurance: Liaison Continent Insurance –Plan A is another great choice that offers medical coverage and emergency services on a trip of up to 187 days.
Also read: What is the right time to buy travel insurance
US Travel Insurance For 70-79 Years Old
- Atlas America Insurance: Atlas America Insurance is a visitors plan, administered by HCC MIC, that provides medical coverage and emergency services for travellers to the US. The plan offers coverage from $50,000 up to $2,000,000 for acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
- International Major Medical: Administered by PIU, International Major Medical Insurance offers travel health insurance coverage and emergency medical services to visitors to America.
- Patriot Platinum Insurance: Patriot Platinum Insurance is a travel medical insurance plan administered by IMG. The plan covers all the basic expenses expected from traditional travel insurance. The best part is that the plan offers coverage of up to $50,000 for Sudden and Unexpected Recurrence of a Pre-Existing Condition.
Best Travel Insurance Option for People above 80 Years
- Safe Travels USA Insurance: Safe Travels USA Insurance is a comprehensive coverage plan administered by Trawick International. The plan covers up to the first $1000 of covered expenses for the unexpected recurrence of a pre-existing medical condition.
Although elderly visitors have the options to choose from limited coverage plans, it is recommended to go for a comprehensive plan to ensure better protection through the entire trip.
Also read: Best travel insurance based on visitors age
Do visitors to US need health insurance?
Not a must. You can visit US without any health insurance and nobody is going to ask you for it. Until, you have to visit a hospital.
Medical care is very expensive in the US and even for small things you can expect a big amount. So, if you want to avoid surprises, and lose money, it is recommended that you get travel or medical insurance for the short term that you’re visiting. This will prevent you from spending large amounts in the hospital, in unfortunate circumstances.
How much does visitor health insurance cost?
There are different options when it comes to visitor health insurance. Of course, a lot depends on what plan you choose, how long you stay and what coverage you opt for. But generally, visitor health insurance costs anything from a few hundreds ($100 – $200) to thousands if you like (for comprehensive coverage etc).
Can foreigners buy health insurance in USA?
Yes, but you’re more likely to get a better deal if you buy visitors insurance before your travel. Read this – Should you buy travel insurance from USA or India?
How much does it cost to stay in the hospital for one night?
Typically, a five day stay in any US hospital can attract bills of up to $10,000 (of course, generalizing).
Can foreigners get Obamacare?
No, visitors to USA are not eligible for Obamacare. Short term travel insurance is your best bet.
Got a question? Please ask in comments.