Can a New-born Baby in India Get a Visit Visa to USA?
Yes, a new-born baby in India can get a US visit visa. If you are planning to take your little one to USA, you first need to get a passport made for your baby. Only after that can you apply for a visa.
Steps to Apply for the Baby’s Passport
Apply for the Birth Certificate
After your baby is born, the most important document that you require for applying for a passport is the birth certificate. It is a simple process to get the certificate. You need to check the information about the municipal office, depending on which town or city your baby is born in. You can also fill the application for a birth certificate online and check the details on this website.
Open an Account
After you have received the birth certificate for your baby, create an account on the Passport Seva Website. The process for getting a passport is simple and standard. Make sure you fill accurate details to avoid any complications in the future.
Pay & Book an Appointment at the Passport Office
Pay the passport fees and book an appointment at your nearest passport office. On the day of your scheduled appointment, you will need to submit all the necessary documents for your new-born baby.
Make sure you get travel insurance – Compare plans here
Documents Required for the Passport
- Birth Certificate.
- Current address proof.
- The parents need to print and sign Annexure D, available on the Passport Seva Kendra site.
- Passport size photographs of the baby.
- Copy of the appointment receipt.
Once you have the passport of your new-born baby, you can apply for a US visit visa. Under the Interview Waiver Program, visa applicants under the age of 14 years and above 80 years do not need to go for the visa interview. However, all the other requirements, fees and rules remain the same for these applicants. You can check other details at this website.
Supporting Documents Required for a Visit Visa
All applicants, irrespective of their age, need to submit the following documents with their visa application:
- A copy of the Form DS-160 confirmation page.
- A copy of the visa fee receipt.
- A copy of the passport of both the parents.
- Guardians or parents must carry the infant’s documents and passport size photograph.
Tips for Parents Travelling with a New-born
Whether you are traveling on a plane, train or other public transport, you need to take care of certain things, especially when traveling with an infant.
- Most planes use recirculated air. Since the immune system of a new-born is weaker than that of adults, the baby is more likely to get affected by it. It is advisable that you wait till the baby is 4-6 months old, before traveling with them on a plane, says an article in Parents.com.
- Generally, airlines allow babies to travel on the parent’s lap for free. However, this isn’t safe for either the parent or the child, especially in case of an emergency landing. It is always better to buy your child a seat and carry a car seat that is certified for aircraft use.
- It is important to read the instructions about carrying milk or other baby products in your hand luggage. The 100ml rule for carrying liquids in your handbag doesn’t apply if you are traveling with an infant.
Lastly, remember that the flight to America will be a long one. Make sure you carry all the essentials for your baby, such as diapers, wet wipes and more, in your hand luggage.