Canada Visitor Visa Application Process for Indians
Last year, my aunt and uncle planned on a family trip to Canada. Since I lived in neighboring America, they asked me to do some research for them for their holiday. What I discovered was quite astonishing. A total of 261.8K tourists from India visited Canada in 2017 alone, according to statistics published by Statista. And, why not? Canada has always been a welcoming country and a favorite among Indians, possibly second only to the United States.
However, before applying for a Canadian visa, you must know whether you are eligible for a visitor visa and the steps to applying for a tourist visa.
Related: Can you travel to Canada with a US B1/B2 visa
- You must have a valid passport
- You must be in good health
- You must be of good character
- You must leave Canada, once your visa expires.
- You must have adequate funds to support your stay in the country.
If you fulfill the above-mentioned criteria, you are eligible to visit Canada.
Make sure you get travel insurance – Compare plans here
Steps to Apply Online
If you want to apply for the Canadian visa online, you can do so in 3 simple steps:
- Fill the application form: You can log in to the site, Visit Canada, and download the application form. Make sure you fill accurate details, such as age, address, etc. Filling incorrect information will reduce your chances of getting a visa.
- Pay the processing fees: You will need to pay the visa fee to proceed further in the process.
- Submit your Canada tourist visa form: Once you submit your form, you will get a unique barcode, which you can use to track the progress on your visa application.
Steps to Apply Offline
Applying for a tourist visa is a smooth and convenient process. You just need to follow some simple steps:
Step 1 – Get an application package
The application package for a Canadian visa includes a guide and all the required forms you need to fill to apply for a visa. Before filling the application form, make your that you read the guidelines carefully to avoid making any mistakes. Fill in accurate details in a separate form for each individual seeking a visa. Applicants under the age of 18 years will need to get their form signed by their parents or guardians.
Step 2 – Pay the application fees
Mostly, the application fee needs to be paid in Canadian dollars. However, if you want to know about other modes of payment, you check the information on the page, Pay Your Fees. If you already have a US visa, you can easily get a Canadian visa in 3-4 days. Otherwise, it might take around 30 days. The status of your application will be updated on the site and will also be mailed to your registered email address.
Step 3 – Submit your application
If you are travelling with your family, you need to send individual application forms in a single package for all people travelling together. To find out where to send the application, you need to check the location specific to your country. The principal applicant will have to send the forms to this specific location. Don’t mail the application, if you need to submit biometrics. Submit it in person.
Related: Can a Canadian visa holder travel to USA
Are you applying for a Canadian visa for the first time? I would advise you to check out the Canadian government’s website on immigrating to Canada. Indian passport holders are also eligible for visa on arrival. However, it is best to get your visa before leaving India to avoid any hassles in a foreign land.