Do British Citizens Need a US Visa?
No, British citizens do not need a visa to travel to the US. Under the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP), British citizens can travel to America without a visa for up to 90 days. However, you need to have a valid Electronic System Travel Authorization (ESTA) and a valid e-passport, prior to boarding any sea or air carrier to USA. You can apply for a single ESTA or as a group.
Under the VWP, you are allowed to visit US for business or tourism purposes for up to 90 days. There are 38 countries under this program, including Germany, Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Sweden and many more, who have signed the Visa Waiver Program with the US.
You can easily apply for US ESTA online on this website. The cost of a US ESTA is just $14. However, you can’t seek employment or enrol in an educational institution on an ESTA.
Eligibility Criteria for a British Citizen to Travel under VWP
- Valid proof of your nationality
- Valid e-passport and ESTA
- Show you have sufficient funds to support your travel and stay in the US
- You must be of good character, without criminal record
- You should not have dual citizenship of Iraq, Sudan, Syria or Iran
- You should not have traveled to Iraq, Sudan, Iran, Sudan, Yemen or Somalia after March 2011.
Before traveling to thw US under the VWP, make sure you know all the rules and regulations. For more details on the VWP, visit this website.
Make sure you get travel insurance – Compare plans here