Visiting USA
Posted By Karthik

Do Dutch Citizens Need a Visa to Visit the USA?

(Last Updated On: May 8, 2018)

Want to go to the US hassle-free way, without a visa? Yes, you read that right! It is possible for citizens of 38 nations to enter America without a visa. To know more about which these countries are, read my article on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

The list of 38 nations that are part of the VWP includes the Netherlands. However, there are certain things you should keep in mind even if you are Dutch citizen.

Are You Eligible to Apply for the VWP?

  • The first consideration is time. If you are planning to visit the US for 90 days or less on business or leisure, then you are eligible.
  • You need a valid passport, as a citizen of the Netherlands.
  • If your travel does not include an infected territory or an island near it, unless you are a resident of that area.
  • And if you have an onward or return ticket.

What do You Need to Enter the United States?

Travelers from countries that are part of the VWP, including Netherlands, are recommended to apply for ESTA, at least 72 hours prior to departure for America. ESTA, or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, provides pre-screening for all Visa Waiver Travelers before they leave for the US. You can apply online, it takes only 5 minutes.

Once filled, this application is valid for 2 years.

Don’t forget to get Travel Insurance

It’s a great idea to get Travel insurance when traveling to USA. As medical cost (even for the common cold) can run into hundreds of dollars in the US, it is recommended that you get good medical insurance, before your trip. Good thing is that if you buy it online before your trip, it may be cheaper.

Compare & find a good plan here.

However, there are certain conditions that need to be fulfilled.

Reasons Why You May Not Qualify for the VWP

  • If you have traveled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Libya or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011.
  • If you have dual nationality, of which one is of one of the above nations.
  • If there was an issue regarding your entry into the US in the past.
  • If you have previously overstayed the maximum limit of 90 days in the past, you will need a visa.

Since the maximum period of stay is 90 days, you will require a visa if you intend to stay on in America for longer.

Got questions? Drop in comments please.

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of stories to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+001-408-489-4785)

View Comments
There are currently no comments.