Do Dutch Citizens Need a Visa to Visit the USA?
Want to go to the US hassle-free way, without a visa? Yes, you read that right! It is possible for citizens of 38 nations to enter America without a visa. To know more about which these countries are, read my article on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
The list of 38 nations that are part of the VWP includes the Netherlands. However, there are certain things you should keep in mind even if you are Dutch citizen.
Are You Eligible to Apply for the VWP?
- The first consideration is time. If you are planning to visit the US for 90 days or less on business or leisure, then you are eligible.
- You need a valid passport, as a citizen of the Netherlands.
- If your travel does not include an infected territory or an island near it, unless you are a resident of that area.
- And if you have an onward or return ticket.
What do You Need to Enter the United States?
Travelers from countries that are part of the VWP, including Netherlands, are recommended to apply for ESTA, at least 72 hours prior to departure for America. ESTA, or the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, provides pre-screening for all Visa Waiver Travelers before they leave for the US. You can apply online, it takes only 5 minutes.
Once filled, this application is valid for 2 years.
Don’t forget to get insurance
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to the USA,
as medical expenses (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars!
Here are the best travel insurance plans.
However, there are certain conditions that need to be fulfilled.
Reasons Why You May Not Qualify for the VWP
- If you have traveled to Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Somalia, Libya or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011.
- If you have dual nationality, of which one is of one of the above nations.
- If there was an issue regarding your entry into the US in the past.
- If you have previously overstayed the maximum limit of 90 days in the past, you will need a visa.
Since the maximum period of stay is 90 days, you will require a visa if you intend to stay on in America for longer.
Got questions? Drop in comments please.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
We recommend Atlas America. It’s a top-rated plan with good benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Buy here.