Whether you’re a parent who wants to visit your child in the US or a globetrotter who wishes to experience what the country has to offer, a letter of invitation can go a long way in improving your chances of securing the tourist visa. The letter is written by a US citizen/legal resident to confirm that they wish to admit an international visitor into their house; that they have strong ties with the concerned person and that they are willing to provide accomodation and financial assistance to the visitor for their trip.
Requirements for a Valid Invitation Letter
The following are the key requirements for a letter of invitation to be considered valid and be effective as a supporting document in the B2 visa application process.
- The person sending the letter must be a lawful citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- The visa applicant must be a relative, friend or boyfriend/girlfriend of the person sending the invite.
- The host must possess a registered flat or house.
- The host must have sufficient room for the visa applicant.
How to Write an Invitation Letter for B2 Visa Application?
Analysis of data released by US Department of State reveals that visitor visa denials have seen a significant increase (39% for immigrants and 5% for non-immigrants) from 2017 to 2018, according to a study conducted by National Foundation of American Policy. This is why, it is even more important now to have a well-written invitation letter to tilt the odds in your favour when applying for the B2 visa. The writing process is fairly uncomplicated, but there is some important information that your letter of invitation needs to include.
- The full name of the host, their date of birth and their address and telephone number in the US.
- The host’s occupation and status in the US. A photcopy of a document that proves the host’s status should be attached to the letter of invitation.
- The full name of the guest, their date of birth and their address and telephone number
- The relationship between the host and the guest
- The purpose of the visit
- Information on the visitor’s duration of stay (with specific dates)
- Details related to accomodation and expenses for the visit
- The host’s signature
Ideally, the invitation letter should have an informal and personal tone to show the close relation between the host and their guest.
Sample Invitation Letter
[Date][Host’s name][Their full address]
(Work): [(xxx) xxx-xxxx]
(Home): [(xxx) xxx-xxxx]
Email: [email address]
To:[Visitor’s name][Their Address]
Dear [Visitor’s name],
I invite you to give us a visit in the US and spend your vacations here. We’ll visit popular tourist attractions, such as [names of places to visit]. This will also be a great opportunity for you to experience USA’s lifestyle and culture.
I’ll be covering all of your expenses for the trip, including housing, round-trip airfare food, medical insurance and other personal expenses.
I’m enclosing herewith the necessary documents for obtaining the required tourist visa from the US Consulate [Name of US Consulate, e.g. New Delhi Consulate]
Sincerely,[Host‘s name][Their signature]
While it is not an obligation, the host should send some documents alongwith the letter to improve visa approval chances for their guest. This includes a copy of the host’s passport/ID, proof of means of subsistence, proof of flat/house ownership, flight itinerary, and the USCIS form I-134.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Check it out.
Recommended Travel Insurance