B1 B2 Visit Visa

How to Go to USA for Medical Treatment

To enter the United States legally for medical treatment, you need to apply for a B2 visa. But before you start off with the process, here’s a look at the process and requirements.

Eligibility Requirements

When you apply for a B2 visa, you need to show the consular officer that you are eligible for it under Section 214(b) of the US Immigration and Nationality Act. For this, the following things need to be proved:

  • Your trip is a temporary one and is focused on getting medical treatment
  • There are sufficient funds to support you during your stay
  • You possess a residence outside the US and have economic and social ties that will compel you to return to your home country once the treatment has been completed.

Tip: Don't Forget Travel Insurance
If you’re traveling this year, I recommend getting a good travel insurance plan, to get the right protection. Atlas America is a popular choice among recent travelers.  

Atlas America 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
Safe Travels USA 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
Patriot America Plus 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan

How to Apply for B2 Visa

To apply for the visa, fill the Electronic Visa Application Form (DS-160) and pay the $160 fee. Next, log in to the USCIS website and schedule your biometric and interview appointments at the US consulate using fee receipt number, passport number and the date of payment.

Make sure you arrive for your appointments on time. For the visa interview, carry the documents mentioned on this page.

If you’re traveling in 2021, I recommend checking out the updated travel rules for USA.

Supporting Documents

Apart from the mandatory documents, you need to provide several other proofs as well. These include:

  1. Medical diagnosis from your local physician, describing your ailment and the need for treatment in the US
  2. Letter from a US-based doctor, stating that they are willing to provide the needed medical care and mentioning the cost and duration of treatment
  3. Proof of your own or your sponsor’s financial ability to bear the cost, via bank statements or income tax returns.

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in the USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of experience to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+1-408-489-4785)