How to Apply for US Visit Visa
Wanna visit the US? Here’s how to get a US visit visa.
Obtaining a visit visa for the United States of America is often thought to be a tough task. But guess what? According to a visa statistics report, released by the US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, a total of 8,83,986 nonimmigrant visas to the USA were issued in May 2017 alone.
The fact that the number of foreign nationals allowed to enter the country in a month is this high only shows that the probability of you getting a visa is high too. But before you can apply, you need to understand the procedure.
Steps to Apply for US Visit Visa
Don’t forget to get insurance
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to the USA,
as medical expenses (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars!
Here are the best travel insurance plans.
- Take a look at the US Directory of Visa Categories to identify which type of visa you will be needing. These vary according to the purpose of your visit, your qualifications and duration of stay.
For short pleasure visits, you need to get the B1/B2 visa.
- Some countries participate in the Visa Waiver Program with the United States and its citizens are not required to apply for a visit visa, if their stay is for 90 days or less. Learn more about this program here.
- Having determined your visa type, fill the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.
- Before you begin with the form, go through the guidelines for completing the DS-160 form carefully.
- Once submitted, no changes can be made to the form.
- After filling and submitting your form, it is time to pay the visa fees.
- You can find the fee for your visa and other charges applicable here.
- To proceed with the payment, you are required to create an online account.
- On creating your profile and making the payment, you will receive a unique code that will help in making an interview appointment later.
- To schedule an appointment for the interview, login with the same credentials you used to pay for your visa.
- Once you’ve logged in, start the scheduling process by clicking on ‘Schedule Appointment’ on the menu on the left of the screen.
- You are required to make two appointments, one for the Visa Application Center and another for the visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate.
- The interview appointment should be booked at least a day after the application center appointment.
- When scheduling these appointments, keep your passport number, visa application fee receipt number and DS-160 confirmation barcode handy.
- At this stage, you can also add dependents and select a location for your documents to be delivered.
When at your Visa Application Centre appointment, carry the following:
- Your passport, with a validity of at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States.
- Your DS-160 confirmation page, printed.
- Proof of appointment confirmation.
- A passport photograph (only if the applicant is 14 years old or less).
After your visit to the visa application center, you are to appear for an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate near you.
Bring the following items with you:
- Documents that support your visa type.
- A duly stamped (at VAC) confirmation of your DS-160.
- A hard copy of your appointment confirmation letter.
- And your current and all old passports.
If your interview goes successfully, you will be issued a visa to the United States of America.
Besides presenting all the necessary documents, you also need to present yourself as a responsible candidate at the interview.
Be sure to read all the provisions of your visa type and do not indicate that you will be violating any of those or overstaying your visa.
Got questions, ask below in comments.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
We recommend Atlas America. It’s a top-rated plan with good benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Buy here.