H1B Visa Documents Needed for Interview at the Consulate
With more than 3 million people of Indian origin making up 1% of the US population, did you know that 8% of these Indians are founders of high-tech companies in America and more than 35% of technology startups in the Silicon Valley? It is predicted that by 2030, the number of Indians in America would surge to 2%. This is what the book, The Other One Percent: Indians in America by Sanjay Chakravorty says.
This book is an interesting read, breaking down the story of how Indians, who belong to a developing country with a low education rate, have made their way to becoming the most educated, highest-income group in the world’s most advanced nation.
Indians first start moving to America in 1965, when the US relaxed its migration policies. However, recent times have been disappointing for Indians wanting to fulfill their American dreams with the Trump Administration bringing in extreme vetting and stringent filtering of applications for the H1B visa, meant for non-immigrant temporary workers in the US.
Even if companies and individuals manage to get an H-1 B work visa, it may not be for a full three years, which used to be the common practice. It will probably be granted for a duration within which the applicant will be able to finish the specific task that is bringing them to America.
Related: Popular H1B Visa Interview Questions
Rules have become tough but that does not mean there is no hope. However, you’ll need to stay prepared for more paperwork, since detailed documentation will be required to obtain an H-1B visa.
If you have applied for your H-1B visa with the US Immigration Department, here’s a look at the documents you will to produce at your visa interview at the consulate/embassy.
List of Documents Needed for the H-1B Visa Interview
- Letter confirming the scheduling of the interview appointment
- DS-160 Barcode Confirmation Page
- Original H-1B visa approval notice, the I-797 Form
- Petition for non-immigrant worker, the I-129 Form
- Supplement of H classification to Form I-129
- H-1B visa petition letter from your employer in the US
- Employment verification letter
- Letter of job extension in America from the current employer
- Description of the company
- Documents related to the project you’ll be working on
- Copy of Curriculum Vitae
If you have applied for an H-1B visa based on your education, you might need to keep handy documents like:
- Educational Certificates, such as undergraduate and graduate degrees and other certificates
- Degree or official diploma certificates
- In case you have obtained a degree from the US, bring the original I-20s
- OPT or EAD card, if applicable.
Renewing Your H-1B Visa
If you have already been working in America on an H-1B visa and are interested in getting it renewed, you will require certain additional documents, such as:
- Pay stubs for at least the last 3 months
- Monthly bank statements of the last 3 months
- Immigration letter from Bank of America
- 1040s tax returns
- Social security card
- Driver’s license
Note that the above list of documents is not applicable for every individual applying for an H1B visa.
Got questions, please ask in comments.