Forms To Fill When Traveling from India to USA
Don't miss these forms. Be prepared.
If you’re planning to travel from India to the United States of America, arm yourself with patience and a few spare pens, you’re in for a paperwork extravaganza!
There are plenty of forms you will need to fill and submit, right from the visa application form to the travel insurance form, depending on the nature of your travel.
Forms Needed for Traveling to the US from India
The United States classifies its visas according to the applicant’s purpose of visit, and all of these fall under two broad categories of immigrant visa and non-immigrant visa. For details on which visa you should apply for, read the US government’s Directory of Visa Categories.
The three most popular non-immigrant visas applied for by Indians include:
Don’t forget to get insurance
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to the USA,
as medical expenses (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars!
Here are the best travel insurance plans.
- The United States tourist visa is called the B2 visa.
- It is a multiple entry visa, which means that it is valid up to 10 years.
- However, a single visit cannot last longer than 180 days.
- The visa takes 3 to 4 business days to be processed after the appointment.
- The fees is ₹10, 800.
- The United States student visa is called the F-1 visa (for academic studies) and M-1 (for vocational studies).
- The form to be filled for a student visa is the I-20.
- It takes 3 to 4 business days to process the application, after the appointment.
- And the visa fees is ₹10, 800.
- United States work visas include the H, O, P, L, and Q Visas, according to the nature of work.
- One should apply for the visa 90 days prior to the start of their employment.
- The fees for all work visas is ₹12, 920.
- The form to be filled for a work visa is the I-129.
All non-immigrant visas are to be applied for with a DS-160 form.
When traveling overseas, a travel insurance is highly recommended. In an expensive nation like the United States, where $1 equals almost ₹65.
Travel insurance can not only help with the cost of medical emergencies but also loss or delay of baggage and loss of passport. Find a suitable travel insurance policy, according to you age, purpose and frequency of visit.
Student Travel Insurance
Student travel insurance requires minimal paperwork. It does not require medical tests to be conducted for issuing a health policy either. And has many more hassle-free features.
Senior Citizen Travel Insurance
This is a policy tailor-made for senior citizens traveling overseas. It offers cashless hospitalization in the United States. It does not require a medical check-up for citizens below the age of 90 years. And it also covers pre-existing, life-threatening ailments till the age of 70 years, among other benefits.
Annual Multi-Trip Insurance
An annual multiple trip insurance policy covers all your trips made to the United States in a single year. This is recommended for frequent travellers. This policy provides coverage for pre-existing ailments in case of life threatening situations, a free international SIM card and lots more.
Besides getting your forms and documents ready, getting ready for the visa interview is also important. So, prepare well for it so that you can get to the more exciting steps of packing your bags and heading to live the American dream.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
We recommend Atlas America. It’s a top-rated plan with good benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Buy here.