Applied for by the dependents of a qualified L-1 visa holder, an L-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the spouse and unmarried children below the age of 21 years of an L-1 visa holder to enter the United States. The L-2 visa remains valid till the L-1 visa remain valid.
It is always advisable to apply for an L-2 visa at the time of applying for an L1 visa, to avoid any unnecessary delays. Although family members can apply together, the type of questions asked during an L2 visa interview may vary slightly for different family members.
In this article…
Most Commonly Asked Questions During an L2 Visa Interview
Questions about the L2 Visa
- Why do you want to go to the US?
- Which type of visa are you applying for?
- Who scheduled your visa interview? You, or someone else?
- Will you return to your home country after the L2 visa validation period ends? If yes, can you show us some documents as proof?
- Have you applied for a visa for any other country before the US?
- When do you intend to travel to the US?
- Is this the first time you have been living outside of your home country? If not, where did you stay and for how long?
- Do any of your family members already live in the US?
Questions Related to Academic Qualifications
- Where did you complete your college education?
- What are your qualifications?
- Would you want to study/work in the US?
- Are you currently working? If yes, what do you work as?
Questions about the Intent of Your US Visit
- Have you applied for an L2 visa before? Why was it rejected?
- Is this your first visit to the US? If not, when was the last time you visited?
- How long do you intend to stay in the US?
Questions about the L1 Spouse
- Can you tell me your spouse’s birthdate?
- From which college did s/he graduate? What is their highest educational degree?
- Which company does your spouse work for currently?
- What is the address of your spouse’s office?
- Can you tell us the name and location of your spouse’s office?
Questions about the Spouse’s L1 Visa
- Why are you applying for a visa separately? Why didn’t you apply for the L2 visa along with your spouse’s L1 visa?
- When was your spouse’s L1 visa stamped?
- What is your spouse’s annual income?
- How long has it been since your spouse has been working in the US on an L1 visa?
- Can you show us the bank statements and the latest paystubs of your spouse?
Questions about Marriage & Children
- When did you get married? Where did the marriage ceremony take place?
- What is your marriage’s date?
- Did you know your spouse before the wedding?
- Can you show us your marriage certificate/marriage album/marriage invitation card?
- Do you have any children? If yes, how many?
- Can you tell us their birth dates and places of birth?
- In which school are they studying at present?
Although this is not an exhaustive list of questions, it certainly covers all the areas likely to be addressed during an L2 visa interview.
All the best!