Lonely Planet writer Amelia Thomas wrote about her experience in India with Children and she thinks you should have one too! India is a richly diverse country and has something to offer for all ages. Experiencing a culture this so different from that of the United States, at a young impressionable age, will leave your child enriched and mesmerized. Obtaining a visa for a minor US citizen is not a lot different from getting one for an adult, except for a few added formalities and documents that the process requires. Read on to understand what all you’ll need to apply for to get your child’s visa for India.
Documents Required by a Minor US Citizen for an Indian Visa
- You can fill the application form for an Indian visa online.
- If applying for a tourist visa, you can also use the e-Visa facility, which is an all-electronic procedure to apply, pay for and obtain the visa electronically.
- The application form of a minor (person below 18 years of age) needs to be signed by him or her, underneath the photograph, on the first page. If the child is too young to sign, a thumb impression should be put in place of the signature.
- Both parents of the minor are also required to sign the application on the second page. The parents’ signatures must also be notarised.
Passport Photograph (1)
- The photograph must be taken against a white background.
- It should be of 2 inches by 2 inches in dimension.
- If applying for an e-Visa, the photograph must be in a digital jpeg format. And its size should be between 10KB and 300KB.
Copy of birth certificate
A photocopy of the child’s birth certificate, containing the name of both parents and the place of birth must also be submitted.
Original United States Passport
- The child’s passport, issued by the US Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, is required in original, rather than a copy of it.
- If the child has more than one passport, all the old ones must also be submitted, along with the current valid one.
Copy of Proof of Address
- A state-issued ID, such as a driver’s license, utility bills or a lease agreement are some documents that can be used as proof of address.
- Note that you are not supposed to submit any original documents of these proofs, only photocopies of them.
Copy of both parents’ passports
- A copy of the passport of both the parents, only the information pages, is required.
- If the parents have a passport from a country other than the United States (but the child is a US citizen), then the parents’ visa status in the United States is also required.
As colorful as India is, it can be an overwhelming experience for children from the west. Educate them about what to expect and how to behave there, and they will have a great time. Although most Indians are very warm and hospitable toward tourists, every country has its notorious bunch and you need be extra cautious when traveling with children. Read some tips on traveling to India with children before you embark on your journey.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Check it out.
Recommended Travel Insurance