For US visa applicants, the visa interview at the consulate can be exciting, yet scary, prospect. But, remember, they are only attempting to establish your credentials and intent. So, the way you present yourself and answer the questions can make a huge difference.
The key is to make a good first impression and what better way to do so than by dressing appropriately? Here are some tips on what you can wear to your visa interview for a lasting impact.
Choosing Your Attire for US Visa Interview
Although there is no dress code, it is best to dress formally. A suit for men or an elegant outfit for women would be a sensible choice. Also, make sure that your clothes are clean and ironed, and that you look well groomed.
Another important factor to bear in mind is your comfort. If you’re uncomfortable in your clothes, it will show in your behavior and could even distract you during the interview. Such behavior might even raise a red flag for the consular officer. So, make sure you wear something that makes you feel confident and at ease.
In case you wish to dress casually, avoid overly casual clothes and accessories such as bright tee shirts, sneakers, or sunglasses. For women, it is best not to over-accessorize.
Your hygiene should go hand in hand with your choice of clothes. For this, ensure that your nails, hair, and beard are clean and well maintained. Women are advised to put on soft makeup and avoid carrying large bags to the interview.
Things to be Mindful of…
- You will be standing in queue for a long period of time under the sun.
- You aren’t allowed to take bags/containers/cases with you.
- You aren’t going to impress the officer based on your dress.
- Dress according to the weather.
- Casual formals are good but let it be comfortable.
- Suits looks good but may not be comfortable in hot weather.
- Avoid attention grabbing, loud dress.
- Avoid anything with offensive graphic elements/statements.
- Avoid revealing/exposing attire.
- Casual formals might be a good choice.
- Sarees/traditional dress are ok.
Note: Your dress and attire are your personal choice and not me or anyone should decide what you should wear. However, considering a respectful attire would always be appreciated in such formal situations.
Apart from making wise clothing decisions, make sure you carry all the necessary documents with you to the interview.