“There will be very few occasions when you are absolutely certain about anything. You will consistently be called upon to make decisions with limited information. That being the case, your goal should not be to eliminate uncertainty. Instead, you must develop the art of being clear in the face of uncertainty.” ~ Andy Stanley
As they always say, the only thing certain in life is uncertainty. And as Andy Stanley suggests above, the only way to deal with all this uncertainty is to stay prepared. This is especially true when you are traveling far from home. Given the cost of medical care in the US, one way to prepare yourself for uncertainties while traveling is to choose a good medical insurance plan.
The problem is that a lot depends on the age of the policy holder. So, to make things easy for you, here is a list of the best medical insurance plans for different age groups.
Up to the Age of 50
- Visitors Care: Since people within this age group are mostly physically fit and more aware of their surroundings, their chances of meeting an accident or falling seriously ill are low. Hence, a basic travel health plan would be sufficient. Visitors Care is a basic travel health plan that offers a fixed pre-defined limit for each medical service. This plan also allows you to visit any doctor or hospital of your choice.
- Choice America: This is another basic coverage travel plan that is available at a very affordable price. Choice America is highly popular amongst the travellers to the US, Mexico and Canada.
Up to the Age of 60
- Inbound USA: Administered by Seven Corners, Inbound USA is a travel plan that pays a fixed amount per incident. This is again an affordable plan that offers limited coverage to travellers. So, if you are a risk averse traveller, it is best to go for this limited coverage plan. Don’t worry, you’ll still be covered for most unexpected events.
- Liaison Travel Economy: In you are interested in a comprehensive plan, Liaison Travel Economy would be my immediate recommendation. This is a comprehensive coverage plan that is also available for US green card holders who live abroad, and are coming back to the US for short trips.
Up to the Age of 70
- Choice America-Gold: Choice America-Gold is a comprehensive coverage plan that can cover you for a trip as short as 5 days to travel as long as 1 year. The plan offers coverage for outpatient treatment, urgent care, surgical treatment, prescription drugs, lab and X-rays, physical therapy and dental treatment, along with emergency medical evacuation, return of remains and emergency reunion, trip interruption and lost baggage.
- Patriot America Plus: Patriot America Plus is a comprehensive coverage policy that offers 100% (in network) coverage up to the policy maximum, once the deductible is met. This plan offers coverage for medical costs of up to $1,000,000, with a variable deductible, coverage for sudden recurrence of pre-existing medical condition up to an age of below 70 years, emergency medical evacuation and more.
- Cover America – Gold: Cover America – Gold is an excellent solution for travelers aged 70-79, travelling overseas. The plan is highly recommended, since it offers coverage of acute onset of pre-existing conditions for travelers to the United States.
- Patriot Platinum: Rated A (Excellent) by AM Best and A by Standard & Poor’s, Patriot Platinum is a very comprehensive travel insurance plan, including high-limit travel medical coverage, including terrorism, sports activities, trip interruption, and AD&D.
If you have questions, please let me know in comments.
Don’t forget to get insurance.
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to USA, as medical expense (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars! Here are some of the best insurance for US visitors.