Can You Travel to Canada with a US B1/B2 Visa?

After all the rigorous checks and tedious processes that you completed to obtain a US B1/B2 visa, it isn’t too far-fetched to want to make the most of the visa to visit America’s neighbors too.

Canada is a beautiful and warm country, despite all that snow! So, when you are so close to Canada, it would be a shame to come back home without having visiting the country. The only problem is that not everyone with a valid B1/B2 US visa is allowed within Canadian territory.

Who Can Enter Canada Without a Visa?

  • US citizens and dual nationals of US and Canada are allowed to enter with just their valid US passports.
  • Permanent citizens living in America lawfully need an ETA or Electronic Travel Authorization. They must also present their Green Card and a valid passport.
  • More than 60 nations and territories are exempted from having to obtain a visa to enter Canada but they do need an ETA to board a flight to the country. However, an ETA is not required if you are entering via road, sea, boat, ship or train.
  • All the other foreign nationals who arrive from the US on a flight, even if it a layover, will need proper documents to be able to leave the airport.

Recommended Plans

⭐⭐⭐⭐ Atlas America 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
⭐⭐⭐ Safe Travels USA 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
⭐⭐ Patriot America Plus 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan

The US B1/B2 Rule

A B1/B2 visa gives you options to travel to other nations from the US and return to the US before the validity of the visa expires. However, the visa also emphasizes that it is valid only for the US.

So, while you can travel to Canada for up to 30 days and re-enter America with a valid B1/B2 visa, you will need to check whether you need a separate visa for Canada.

If you do not belong to the countries on the list of visa-free countries for Canada, it is advisable to plan your travel while you are still in your home country. This is because it will be much easier to complete the visa process from home, rather than have to carry all the required documentation to the US and then seek a visa from the Canadian consulate or embassy.

If you got questions, please ask in comments.

Recommended Plan For Your Travel

Safe Travels

Best for Visitors
Economical Plan
COVID19 included
Covers Medical
Pre-Existing Conditions
First Health Network


Atlas America

Rated “A – Excellent”
COVID19 included
Covers Medical
Covers Dental
Trip Cancellation
Full Refund on Cancel

Mani Karthik

About the Author

Mani Karthik

Ex “NRI” and Founder of the “Back to India” movement. I share my experience about immigrating to USA here.

  1. […] Related: Can you travel to Canada with US Visa […]

  2. […] need to present your US Green Card and a valid passport with the eTA. However, if you’re entering Canada by road or sea, directly from the US, you don’t need the eTA. You’ll be asked to present a […]

  3. Jojit M Fillon

    My mom just got approved with her tourist visa with 10 yrs multiple entry to the US, on her flight schedule she has a stop over in Vancouver canada and my question is can she stay there for couple of weeks to visit some relatives before she comes to america (I found out that you can use your US tourist visa in canada)? If she did is she going to have problem coming in to the US and Los Angeles as her port of entry. Thank you

  4. kole

    can you enter Canada by car, if you have us visa and are permanent resident of Sweden?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *