What Visa do US Permanent Residents Need to Visit Australia?
If you have a valid US passport and you need to travel to Australia for tourist or business purposes, you need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authority or ETA to do so. This is a label-free visa and you can apply for it on the ETA website.
The ETA is an Australian tourist visa that permits you to stay in Australia for up to 3 months within a period of one year from the time the ETA is granted. It is different from the traditional visa since there is no stamp on your passport and it is free of cost. The online application charge for an ETA is AUD20 and you receive it within a day of your application being processed.
You need to apply for an ETA if you are visiting Australia for a vacation, visiting your family, or attend a business conference or meeting. You can also take part in a trade fair or seminar with a valid ETA.
Eligibility Criteria for Australian Visa ETA
- You must have a valid US passport
- You must leave the country before the expiration date of the ETA
- You must not work in Australia with an ETA
- You must not study or participate in a training course for more than 3 months
- You must not have any criminal record
- You must not have tuberculosis at the time of entering Australia.
Remember, ETA is a temporary visa and you cannot stay beyond its expiry date.