US Travel Tips

What Visa do US Permanent Residents Need to Visit Australia?

(Last Updated On: November 29, 2018)

If you have a valid US passport and you need to travel to Australia for tourist or business purposes, you need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authority or ETA to do so. This is a label-free visa and you can apply for it on the ETA website.

The ETA is an Australian tourist visa that permits you to stay in Australia for up to 3 months within a period one year from the time the ETA is granted. It is different from the traditional visa, since there is no stamp on your passport and it is free of cost. The online application charge for an ETA is AUD20 and you receive it within a day of your application being processed.

You need to apply for an ETA if you are visiting Australia for a vacation, visiting your family or attend a business conference or meeting. You can also take part in a trade fair or seminar with a valid ETA.

Eligibility Criteria for ETA

  • You must have a valid US passport
  • You must leave the country before the expiration date of the ETA
  • You must not work in Australia with an ETA
  • You must not study or participate in a training course for more than 3 months
  • You must not have any criminal record
  • You must not have tuberculosis at the time of entering Australia.

Remember, ETA is a temporary visa and you cannot stay beyond its expiry date.

Don’t forget to get Travel Insurance

It’s a great idea to get Travel insurance when traveling to USA. As medical cost (even for the common cold) can run into hundreds of dollars in the US, it is recommended that you get good medical insurance, before your trip. Good thing is that if you buy it online before your trip, it may be cheaper.

Compare & find a good plan here.

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of stories to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+001-408-489-4785)