Yes, an American citizen needs a valid visa to visit Australia. However, if you want to stay only for a maximum of 3 months, you can also apply for an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority). An ETA will be linked to your passport and allow you hassle-free travel to Australia, without the need for a visa. Here’s what you need for an ETA
In this article…
What You Need for an ETA
1. You can apply for it online.
2. Ensure that your stay in Australia is not more than 3 months.
3. Ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months from the date of your travel. You will also need a valid credit card and email address.
4. There should be no discrepancy in the information you put on the form and your passport.
5. Use the same passport while traveling that you used for filling up the ETA form.
The Process has a Few Conditions
– Remember, if you have entered Australia using an ETA, you won’t be allowed to work in the country.
– An ETA can help you enter and leave Australia several times for up to 12 months from the date the ETA is issued or the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
– If you have applied for an educational course, check whether it exceeds 3 months. If yes, then it is better to apply for a visa instead.
– You should not have any criminal record. If you have been sentenced to 12 months or more, you are likely to be denied an ETA.
ETA is a solution for tourism, business and attending family functions. It can be applied for on your behalf by travel agents too.