If you are planning to visit Mexico, you need to have a valid passport and visa. However, if you do have valid visa for countries like the USA, Canada, Japan and the UK, or if you have a valid Schengen visa, do not require a separate visa for up to 180 days of stay in Mexico.
As far as the passport is concerned, it should be valid for at least 6 months beyond the time of your arrival in Mexico. You can travel to Mexico with a US visa and a valid passport.
It is recommended that you travel with all your old passports too, especially if there is a US on them visa, along with your current passport and visa, for hassle-free entry into Mexico.
Important Points for Entering Mexico
- You will be allowed entry if you are traveling with a valid visa, along with both your old and new passports.
- You should check if the visa is of the appropriate type. If the nature of your visit is tourism, you should have a visa that falls under this category.
- The old and new passports should be of your native country and of the same classification. For instance, both should either be ordinary or diplomatic.
- After reaching the immigration check post, fill in the immigration form, mentioning the number of days you wish to stay in Mexico and the purpose of your visit.
- The customs officer will examine the passport and visa, and your entry will depend on customs clearance.
If you are visiting the North American continent, it would be a shame to go back home without visiting the colorful and beautiful country of Mexico.
Don’t forget to get insurance.
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to USA, as medical expense (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars! Here are some of the best insurance for US visitors.
If you have any questions, please let me know.