Visit USA

Things Not To Do on USA Visit Visa

If you are applying for a B-2 Travel visa with the secret intention of staying in the US for an indefinite period of time, beware, you are about to commit a visa fraud. Every year, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issues B-2 visitor visas or temporary visas to visitors who wish to visit the country for a short duration or temporary stay. However, there are many cases of aliens having dual intentions behind applying for the B-2 visitor’s visa.

In such cases, the real motive behind obtaining the visa could be to get married in the US or reside permanently through other means. Many people get the visitor’s visa to gain entry into the country and then extend their stay not only to marry, but to study or even start a business.

It is for this reason, the USCIS has become very cautious about such intruders, with detecting visa fraud being a top priority of the USCIS officials. To be able to identify and deny fraudulent applications, the USCIS has made the visa process quite difficult and lengthy. If they find any such case of visa misuse, the individual has to face severe consequences.

Even if you are able to bypass the strict criteria of the consular office and get the visa, you won’t not be allowed to enter the US by the consular officer at the port if any intention of fraud is detected.

There are certain activities that can never be the reason for a visitor applying for a B-2 visa.

If you’re traveling in 2021, I recommend checking out the updated travel rules for USA.

Prohibited Activities on a US Visit Visa

  • Enrollment in a Regular Course of Study:
    Aliens visiting to the US with the intention to study were earlier allowed to enter the country on a tourist visa, but not anymore. A person who intends to enroll himself/herself in a course of study in a US school/university is no longer eligible for a B-2 visitor’s visa. However, under a tourist visa, an alien is allowed to attend a short course, such as yoga, dance or cooking classes. Prospective students should either apply for an F-1 visa for an academic program or English Language Program at a US school or university, and the M-1 visa for non-academic or vocational studies. The application should be filed at the consular office in their country of residence.
  • Employment:
    You should know that aliens visiting the US for a short period of time on a B-2 visa are not authorised to seek work in the country. This means that you can also not work for your friend or relative, whom you might have come to the US to visit. Do remember that in such circumstances, even your excuse of not being paid for your services will not be accepted.
  • Representing Journalism:
    You cannot visit the US under a visitor’s visa or through a visa waiver program if you are a journalist and are visiting the country as a representative of film, radio or foreign press. For such purposes, you need to apply for a non-immigrant Media (I) Visa.

To avoid B-2 visitor’s visa application rejection and the following repercussions, the above mentioned should not be the reasons for your visit to the US.

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in the USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of experience to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+1-408-489-4785)