If you hold a US Green Card, you need a valid passport and an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to travel to Canada. You don’t require a visitor’s visa; and applying for an eTA is quite simple.
The top five US states that have attracted the most visitors to Canada are New York, Washington, California, Michigan and Pennsylvania, according to the 2016 figures revealed by the Government of Canada.
If you’re traveling to Canada by air, you’ll need to present your US Green Card and a valid passport with the eTA. However, if you’re entering Canada by road or sea, directly from the US, you don’t need the eTA. You’ll be asked to present a valid passport and your US Green Card.
How to Apply for the eTA
- Keep your passport and credit or debit card handy.
- Fill up the online eTA form. Remember to keep all your information ready, since the form can’t be saved.
- Pay C$7 for the eTA once you finish filling the form.
- Print the receipt right away.
- You’ll receive an email confirming the eTA application.
Although eTAs are usually approved within minutes, at times it could take a couple of days. So, it may be a good idea to apply for the eTA before booking your flight tickets.
Don’t forget to get insurance.
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to USA, as medical expense (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars! Here are some of the best insurance for US visitors.
Things to Remember for Filling Up the eTA Form
- Ensure your passport has not expired.
- Although an eTA is valid for five years, it will expire with the expiry of your passport and a new passport requires a new eTA.
- Check that you’ve filled in the correct email ID, since all communication will take place on this.
Got questions? Please ask in comments.
Recommended Plan : Atlas America
Atlas America is a top-rated, health insurance plan for visitors to the US. With great benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings, this plan is easily the best for US visitors. No wonder it’s the most recommended and popular plan among visitors to the US from India.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute on-set of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew or cancel anytime.