Process for Indian Passport Renewal in USA
Cox & Kings Global Services (CKGS) handles all Indian Passport related services in USA. Here is a step by step guide for NRIs whose passport is up for renewal.
The key documents required for passport renewal for NRIs are:
- 4 recent passport-sized photographs: Size should be 2”x 2” and the photo should be against a white background.
- Photocopy of a US residence proof: Driver’s license, electricity, gas, water or rental lease bill or a state ID can work for this. The photocopy should be notarized.
- Photocopy of the first 5 and last 2 pages of the passport: These don’t need to be notarized.
- Color photocopy of legal status in the US: Greencard, visa, EAD, I-797 or I-20 can work for this. The photocopy needs to be notarized
- Recent original Indian passport
India Passport Renewal Process in USA
To renew your passport in the US, follow these simple steps:
- Go the official website of Cox and Kings Global Services (CKGS) and get started.
- Choose the type of application (Normal/Tatkal) and your state of residence and fill in your details. After this, you’ll be able to see a checklist of documents, passport fees (including handling charges), a temporary reference number and processing times. Note down all these details and keep the reference number safe.
- Fill the letters and supplementary forms in accordance with your service and application type. Wherever possible, the forms will get auto-filled and you’ll need to fill in the blanks that remain. If you want your passport to have an Indian address, you’ll have to fill the Nationality Verification Form. All signatures on this form need to be notarized.
- Select between the two submission modes: shipping and walk-in. If you want to use shipped, you can use the Fedex Standard overnight service offered by CKGS. It will cost you $30 for shipping in both directions.
- Pay the fee online with your credit/debit card. The fee includes passport renewal cost, CKGS handling charges and the optional shipping charges.
- Next, you’ll need to complete the Indian government’s online passport form. The form details are fairly self-explanatory, but you can use the CKGS’s sample application form for reference. Make sure that all the details you enter match those on your current passport. On completing this form, you’ll get a “New Web Reference Number.” This will be required later, on the CKGS website.
- Print the application form.
- Go the CKGS website and click on “Government Online NRI Passport Form Already Filled.” Fill in the “New Web Reference Number” here.
- The online process is complete. Now, you need to submit your physical application form to the CKGS Indian Passport Application Center, according to your application’s jurisdiction. You’ll have to do this through a walk-in or shipping, whichever you had selected.
After you’ve submitted the physical form, you can begin tracking the status using your current Indian passport number and the CKGS web reference number (the one obtained in Step 2).
Don’t forget to get insurance
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to the USA,
as medical expenses (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars!
Here are the best travel insurance plans.
You can track your application here.
What travel insurance is best for US visitors?
We recommend Atlas America. It’s a top-rated plan with good benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute onset of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew, or cancel anytime. Buy here.