For anyone of Indian descent living in the United States, renewing a passport can be a hassle. The process is different than what it would be if you were living in India, but it is still possible to do so. Here are the steps you need to take in order to renew your Indian passport while living in the USA.
If your Indian passport is expiring soon or all the pages are filled, you may need to renew it. You’ll need to apply for a new passport or extension in such circumstances. Adults can renew passports every 10 years. Under 18 get a 5-year passport that needs to be renewed as well. Old passports are usually returned after renewal. However, valid visas won’t be terminated. You may need to travel with both your valid visa passport and your renewed passport for new travel.
Here are the steps to renew your Indian passport from USA.
In this article…
- 4 recent passport-sized photographs:
The size should be 2”x 2” and the photo should be against a white background.
- Photocopy of a US residence proof:
A driver’s license, electricity, gas, water, or rental lease bill, or a state ID can work for this. The photocopy should be notarized.
- Photocopy of the first 5 and last 2 pages of the passport:
These don’t need to be notarized.
- Color photocopy of legal status in the US:
Greencard, visa, EAD, I-797, or I-20 can work for this. The photocopy needs to be notarized
- Recent original Indian passport
Steps to Renew an Indian Passport in the USA
If you are a citizen of India living in the United States, you will need to renew your passport at the Indian consulate nearest you. The process is relatively simple, but there are a few things you need to know in advance.
First, you will need to fill out an application form, which you can get from the consulate or download from the internet.
In addition, you will need to provide two photographs, your current passport, and a fee of $75.
You will also need to show proof of your current address in the United States.
Once you have all of these documents, you can submit them to the consulate, either in person or by mail. The process usually takes about four to six weeks.
Indian Passport Renewal Process in USA
To renew your passport in the US, follow these simple steps:
- Go to the official website here and get started.
- Choose the type of application (Normal/Tatkal) and your state of residence and fill in your details. After this, you’ll be able to see a checklist of documents, passport fees (including handling charges), a temporary reference number, and processing times. Note down all these details and keep the reference number safe.
- Fill in the letters and supplementary forms in accordance with your service and application type. Wherever possible, the forms will get auto-filled and you’ll need to fill in the blanks that remain. If you want your passport to have an Indian address, you’ll have to fill out the Nationality Verification Form. All signatures on this form need to be notarized.
- Select between the two submission modes: shipping and walk-in. If you want to use shipped, you can use the FedEx Standard overnight service offered by CKGS. It will cost you $30 for shipping in both directions.
- Pay the fee online with your credit/debit card. The fee includes passport renewal cost, CKGS handling charges, and optional shipping charges.
- Next, you’ll need to complete the Indian government’s online passport form. The form details are fairly self-explanatory, but you can use the sample application form for reference. Make sure that all the details you enter match those on your current passport. On completing this form, you’ll get a “New Web Reference Number.” This will be required later, on the CKGS website.
- Print the application form.
- Go to the website and click on “Government Online NRI Passport Form Already Filled.” Fill in the “New Web Reference Number” here.
- The online process is complete. Now, you need to submit your physical application form to the CKGS Indian Passport Application Center, according to your application’s jurisdiction. You’ll have to do this through walk-in or shipping, whichever you had selected.
After you’ve submitted the physical form, you can begin tracking the status using your current Indian passport number and the CKGS web reference number (the one obtained in Step 2).
You can track your application here.
How long does it take to renew an Indian passport in the US?
The process of renewing an Indian passport in the US can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. The first step is to fill out an application form, which can be done online or at a local Indian consulate. Once the form is complete, it must be submitted along with any required supporting documents. After the application is processed, the new passport will be mailed to the applicant.
Can an Indian passport be renewed after expiry in the USA?
Yes, Indian passports can be renewed after they expire in the USA. There are a few steps that need to be followed in order to renew an Indian passport in the USA (see above). First, you will need to fill out an application form and submit it to the Indian consulate. You will also need to submit your current passport, two passport-sized photographs, and the appropriate fees. Once your application has been processed, you will receive your new passport in the mail.
How much does it cost to renew Indian passport in USA?
The cost of renewing an Indian passport in the USA varies depending on the type of passport you have and how many pages you need. For a standard 36-page passport, the fee is $110, and for a 60-page passport, the fee is $145. If you need to expedite your passport, there is an additional fee of $60. To renew your passport, you will need to submit a passport application, two recent passport photos, your current passport, and the appropriate fees.