A country of immense natural and cultural diversity, from the beautiful Yosemite national park to the awe-inspiring Grand Canyon and the skyscrapers of New York City, the United States is one of the most popular countries for visitors from all across the globe. The country attracted almost 77 million visitors in 2018, making it the third most popular destination for people around the world, according to an article by ATLAS & BOOTS.
A US visit visa allows its holder to enter the United States for pleasure, business, tourism, and medical treatment. However, you are not permitted to work for a salary or any monetary remuneration on a US tourist visa.
Also, this is a short-term visa, allowing you to stay in the country for a maximum period of six months. The good news, however, is that if your visa has not expired and you wish to return to the US, you can apply for a renewal of your visa.
In this article…
Qualifications for US Visa Renewal
The renewal of a visit visa requires you to fulfill certain eligibility criteria, such as:
- A person can only renew the type of visa they previously held. For example, if you entered the US on a B2 visa, you can only apply for the renewal of a B2 visa.
- The individual must have not been recently denied a visa.
- The renewed visa must be for multiple entries, and for a duration greater than 12 months.
- All the requirements for the visa that one wishes to renew must be fulfilled, which means the requirements of the individual visa category need to be met.
- Lastly, one must apply for visa renewal from their home country. After the expiration of the visa, the individual is required to return to their home country and apply for a fresh visa.
Ensure that you get a good health insurance plan when visiting USA.
How to Renew US Visit Visa
Before your visit visa expires, you need to decide whether you wish to renew it. The process of visa renewal includes some simple steps:
- The first step is to pay the visa fees for a visit visa.
The process of fee payment is the same as the one you followed during the initial visa application process.
- The second step is to submit the DS-160 form. After submission of this form, you will receive a confirmation page and number. Keep this safe, just like you did the last time.
- The third step is to send the supporting documents to the US embassy in the country where you are applying for the visa. These documents include:
– Your passport, valid for at least six months after your departure from the US
– Two photographs, meeting the visa parameters
– Form DS-160 confirmation page
– Receipt of the visa fee payment
- In case you do not qualify for the Visa Interview Waiver, you need to schedule a visa interview appointment and attend it. The interview would be similar in nature to the one you attended when applied for a visit visa the last time.
For further information, it is always best to contact the US embassy in your home country.