Life in USA

Do Babies Need Passports?

Yes, even babies as young as 6 months old need a passport if they need to travel outside their home country. Every citizen of the United States as well as India, irrespective of how old they are, requires a valid passport to travel internationally.

How to Get a Passport for Your Infant in USA?

Parents or legal guardians of the infant need to apply in person on the infant’s behalf and must bring the infant along when applying for a passport. Both parents/legal guardians must sign the passport application. In case one of them is not present, a notarized Statement of Consent, with the signature of the absent parent/guardian, will be required.

Tip: Don't Forget Travel Insurance
If you’re traveling this year, I recommend getting a good travel insurance plan, to get the right protection. Atlas America is a popular choice among recent travelers.  

Atlas America 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
Safe Travels USA 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan
Patriot America Plus 100% Coverage, Comprehensive plan

Where to Apply?

A first-time passport application can be made at any of the around 9,000 passport acceptance facilities across the US. This includes many post offices, local government offices, libraries and courts. However, in case you’re in a rush, you can make an appointment at one of the 14 regional passport centers. Appointments can be made over the phone.

Documentation Required for infant passport

The passport application form is available online, as well as at the various passport acceptance facilities. In case you opt to download the form, make sure you don’t sign it before you go to the passport application facility. Apart from the application form, you’ll need documentation to prove the infant’s citizenship, your own identity and your relationship to the infant.

Bring your baby’s government-issued and certified US birth certificate, along with a valid photo ID for yourself, such as the existing US or foreign passport or driver’s license. The birth certificate should have a registrar’s signature and seal and should have been filed within one year of the infant’s birth. Also, the names of parent(s) or guardian(s) must be on it. You’ll also require two passport-sized photographs of your baby. Make sure you have them taken at a facility familiar with the specifications for passport photos. 

Payment Procedure

The passport application cost for children below 16 years of age is $82. However, in case you opt for a local passport acceptance facility, you’ll have to split the payment between the acceptance facility ($30) and the US State Department ($52). Forms of payment can vary from one facility to another. So, call ahead of time to avoid any hassles.

How to Get a Passport for Your Infant in India?

The process for applying for an infant’s passport in India starts at the Passport Seva portal. Parents/legal guardians of the infant need to visit the website, create a profile and apply for the passport online. You will be issued an appointment at a specific date to submit the required documents. You will need to bring the infant with you to the appointment.

If you’re traveling in 2021, I recommend checking out the updated travel rules for USA.

Documentation Required

Here’s a look at the basic documents required for an Indian passport:

  • Proof of Date of Birth: For this, you can submit the birth certificate of the infant, an insurance policy in the infant’s name that mentions their DOB or PAN Card/Aadhar Card of the infant.
  • Proof of Address: The parents’ income tax assessment order, utility bills, Aadhar Card, Voter ID Card, passbook of a bank account (active), or passport can work as a valid address proof. 

Apart from the above documents, you will also need to submit a declaration that affirms the details furnished in the application about the infant are true to the best of your knowledge. When applying for a passport for your baby, make sure you do so a few months before your travel date, to avoid any last-minute hassles.

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in the USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of experience to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+1-408-489-4785)