According to data released by the Mexico Tourism Board, 10.6 million international tourists visited the country in the first quarter of 2018 alone. This represents a 12.6% increase from the 9.4 million people who visited Mexico during the same time in 2017. What this goes to show is the rising popularity of Mexico as a global tourist destination.
If you too wish to visit this beautiful country and experience its culture, here’s a guide to obtaining a Mexican tourist visa.
Eligibility Criteria for Mexican Visa
To be eligible for the Mexican tourist visa, you will need to fulfill certain conditions, such as:
- You must have a valid passport, with an expiry date of at least 3 months after your visit.
- Proof of economic stability, through bank statements for the past 6 months. This will assure the authorities that you will be able to support yourself during the trip and for your return journey.
- Proof of permanent residence in your home country, along with round-trip tickets.
- No criminal record.
Steps to Apply for Mexican Visa
- Download the visa application form or get it from the Mexican consulate in your country.
- Fill in all the details carefully and make sure you sign the form wherever needed.
- Collect the documents required for submission and keep them in an organized manner.
- Affix two recent color photographs (not older than 6 months) on the application form. Check the photograph specifications before doing so.
- Check the visa application fee and the mode of payment accepted by the Mexican consulate.
- Submit the filled form with the fee (US$22) and the relevant documents.
When your visa gets issued after proper clearance, you will be given an appointment to collect your visa. Keep in mind that you should use your visa within 90 days of its date of issue. Also, note that the visa fee depends on the current exchange rate and is subject to change.
Don’t forget to get insurance.
It is recommended that you get travel insurance when traveling to USA, as medical expense (even for common flu) can run into hundreds of dollars! Here are some of the best insurance for US visitors.
In case you feel the need to extend your stay while you are in Mexico, you will need to apply for a visa extension. This has to be done 30 days prior to the expiry date of your visa. For this, you will also have to show proof of additional funds to sustain you through the extended period.
Some other things that need to be remembered while applying for a Mexican tourist visa are:
- Make sure you apply for the visa at least 4 weeks before the scheduled start of your trip.
- When you visit the Mexican consulate, carry all the original documents, along with their copies.
- Do not hide any facts or fill in inaccurate information in the visa application form.
- Do not provide any fake documents with your visa application form.
The process of getting a Mexican tourist visa is not a difficult one. As with the visa for any other country, the key is to be honest about the purpose and duration of your visit, and the places you intend to go to while in Mexico.
Recommended Plan : Atlas America
Atlas America is a top-rated, health insurance plan for visitors to the US. With great benefits, coverage, and excellent customer ratings, this plan is easily the best for US visitors. No wonder it’s the most recommended and popular plan among visitors to the US from India.
Benefits: Excellent rating, More than one PPO Network, After deductible 100% covered, Acute on-set of pre-existing conditions covered, Buy online, renew or cancel anytime.