H1B Visa Travelers

H4 Visa Documents Required at Port of Entry

Last Updated On: February 26, 2020

An H4 visa is a dependent visa, where a spouse (husband or wife) can get to stay in the US, for the same time as the sponsor (H1 visa holder).

Many wives (and husbands) of H1 visa holders travel to the US, to stay with their spouses on this visa. Unfortunately, H4 visa holders are not supposed to work in the US and pretty much have to stay at home, not doing any work. This visa has been criticized a lot and some people call it the “slave visa” since it restricts the visa holders rights in some ways. A H4 visa holder can however work if the original sponsor has filed for green card and has an EAD achieved.

Also read: H4 Visa Interview Questions

In this article, we’ll talk about what documents are required for a H4 visa holder at the port of entry (airport landing in USA).

Generally, a H4 visa holder is advised to carry the following documents.

  • H4 visa itself.
  • Valid I797 of the primary visa holder.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Passport.

Optional documents to carry

  • Proof of residence in USA of primary visa holder (ID copy or address proof).
  • Proof of employment in USA. (Paystubs, Employment letter)

That’s about it.

Generally, immigration officers at Port of Entry, will ask you questions to verify your intention of travel. And might even (in some circumstances) ask for some documents that’ll verify your relationship with the visa sponsor. So, it’s a good idea to carry all such documents with you, just in case.

Also, it is a good idea to memorize the address at which the primary visa holder stays and works (residential and employer’s address). This isn’t a necessity, but I know of instances where this question was asked, and just because there was no immediate answer, more questions were asked. These are little things that aren’t absolutely necessary to know, but helps if you do.

All the best!

About the author

Mani Karthik

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in the USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of experience to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+1-408-489-4785)


  • Is there any issue while port of entry is different than the actual city of stay.
    My family is traveling to Chicago because there is a direct flight from Delhi to Chicago.
    We live in Dallas. She is traveling with two kids so it is more convinient since Chicago is a direct flight from Delhi.

  • IAM on h4 Visa and valid i94 till August but I don’t have i797 copy with me is there any problem at Port of entry

  • I have valid Visa and i94 till August 24 2019 but I lost my i797 copy in my home country at the Port of entry what I have to do

  • My wife was in US now. She have h1b visa. She works in TCS. I also works in TCS. I dnt have Marriage certificate to apply h4 visa to go US. Is the marriage affidavit certificate get by notary advocate is enough for visa stamping interview process ? It is acceptable ? Then what are documents required to apply for h4 dependent visa ? Please help me.

Click here to post a comment