H1B Visa
H1B Visa

H4 Visa Documents Required at Port of Entry

An H4 visa is a dependent visa, where a spouse (husband or wife) can get to stay in the US, for the same time as the sponsor (H1 visa holder).

Many wives (and husbands) of H1 visa holders travel to the US, to stay with their spouses on this visa. Unfortunately, H4 visa holders are not supposed to work in the US and pretty much have to stay at home, not doing any work. This visa has been criticized a lot and some people call it the “slave visa” since it restricts the visa holders rights in some ways. A H4 visa holder can however work if the original sponsor has filed for green card and has an EAD achieved.

Also read: H4 Visa Interview Questions

In this article, we’ll talk about what documents are required for a H4 visa holder at the port of entry (airport landing in USA).

Generally, a H4 visa holder is advised to carry the following documents.

  • H4 visa itself.
  • Valid I797 of the primary visa holder.
  • Marriage certificate.
  • Passport.

Optional documents to carry

  • Proof of residence in USA of primary visa holder (ID copy or address proof).
  • Proof of employment in USA. (Paystubs, Employment letter)

That’s about it.

Generally, immigration officers at Port of Entry, will ask you questions to verify your intention of travel. And might even (in some circumstances) ask for some documents that’ll verify your relationship with the visa sponsor. So, it’s a good idea to carry all such documents with you, just in case.

Also, it is a good idea to memorize the address at which the primary visa holder stays and works (residential and employer’s address). This isn’t a necessity, but I know of instances where this question was asked, and just because there was no immediate answer, more questions were asked. These are little things that aren’t absolutely necessary to know, but helps if you do.

All the best!

Having lived in 3+ countries, worked for companies small and big in the USA, Middle East & India, I have a lot of experience to share about international travel, immigration and living as an NRI in the US. Add me on WhatsApp if you have any queries (+1-408-489-4785)