How to Apply for UK Visit Visa from the USA for Indian Citizens
Within the first 9 months of 2017, 30.1 million tourists visited the United Kingdom, representing a 7% hike in tourist visits from the same period in 2016, says an article on Independent. During the cricket World Cup of 2019, almost 80,000 Indians were expected to travel to the UK, particularly to Wales and England, according to the British High Commission spokesperson.
The country that has been home to the likes of Shakespeare and The Beatles is a fully independent sovereign state with quite a lot to offer for all types of tourists. Where you are interested in the different kinds of Celtic languages and communities, the world-famous Oxford and Cambridge Universities, Italy-inspired villages and colorful architecture, mountains, beaches and moors, there’s something here for everyone.
The first step to traveling to the UK is filling up the UK Standard Visitor Visa Application Form. Here’s a look at some things that can help you through the visa application process.
Things to Remember
- The visa application form can be filled a maximum of three months before the date of travel.
- Be careful while choosing the appointment date and time. If you need to reschedule, you will have to resubmit the application.
- The mandatory documents to bring to the appointment include the visa fee receipt, confirmation of your appointment and your passport with two blank pages.
- Bring both the original and photocopies of documents of your education, identity and address proof.
- If you have applied for the interview under official sponsorship, bring documents to prove the same.
- Also, bring a printout of your application form, with your signature and date on it. Remember to attach all supporting documents mentioned in the form.
Documents Required for UK Visa
An Indian citizen needs to submit various documents to obtain a UK visa, including.
Make sure you get travel insurance – Compare plans here
- The visa application form
- Original Indian passport, with six months validity
- Proof of status
- Stamped biometrics confirmation sheet
- Travel itinerary
- Original bank statements for the last three months, showing that you have cash work $300 for each day you spend in the UK
- Employment letter
- Address proof
- Invitation from friends or family, if applicable
UK Visa Application Process for Indian Citizens
To apply for a UK visa from USA, you need to determine the purpose of your visit first. Apart from that, the type of visa you apply for will depend on your nationality (Indian, in this case), your length of stay and your personal situation. You can check for the visa types here.
Here’s a look at the steps to complete the application procedure:
- After you have applied online, you will be required to pay the visa fee. If you have applied for a short-term, single or multiple entry visas for six months, the cost would be ₹8,510. Check the fee for other categories here.
- Book a biometric appointment at the US Department of Homeland Security Application Support Center online.
- Mail the biometric confirmation slip, along with your application form and passport to VFS Service Center.
- Provide a valid address in the mailed envelope to get your documents back on time.
How Long Does it Take to Process the Visa?
Generally, it takes 2 weeks to process and approve the visa. You can apply through the Priority Visa Service, which will ensure faster processing. However, it also means higher cost. Check here if you are eligible for this service.
In case you want to extend your stay while in the UK, contact the British High Commission for the formalities.